The “Friends of Vellore” is an organisation in Australia supporting the Christian Medical College and Hospital in Vellore in South India.
To spread the inspiring news about the Christian Medical College and Hospital in Vellore, South India and to gather further support for its work, in Australia.
The Australian Friends of Vellore was established in 1943. It is an organisation that, together with similar groups around the world, aims to gather support for the work of the Christian Medical College and Hospital.
Its activities include:
• upholding the institution and its work in prayer;
• promoting knowledge of the excellent and dedicated work that is taking place at the College and the Hospital;
• organising financial support for that work, particularly as it relates to the disadvantaged and destitute members of Indian society;
• facilitating collaboration between the institution and Australian medical faculties and research institutions;
• creating opportunities for staff from Vellore to obtain further training in Australia;
• encouraging Australians to visit Vellore, as visitors, volunteers and observers (especially medical and allied health students on electives).
There are very active groups of Friends of Vellore (FOV) in various states of Australia – New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia and Tasmania. All the Fund raising and promotional activities of (FOV) are organised at the state level. The Australian Board of the Vellore Christian Medical College and Hospital, the National Body, coordinates the activities of these groups. It has the status of a registered charity and donations made are tax-exempt in Australia. The financial support raised by the activities of the state branches is channelled via the Board to particular projects in Vellore that cater for the poor and marginalised people in India.
Email: [email protected]